Thursday, May 7, 2009

Running a MILE in 1st Grade?!?!

The past two days the elementary school kids have been running a mile with their PE class. Today was Cambree's turn. The PE teacher sent home a note that says if you would like to come and support and cheer on your student, that would be great. So, we bundled up and braved the hurricane winds that we are having and went to watch.

It was a great lesson to be there for. The teacher said that life was like running a mile. Sometimes things will get hard in life and rather than giving up, you just grit your teeth and push on through. (She gave ideas of ways to make running more bearable...) After watching Cambree run four times around the track and losing a little steam at the end, Brinlee ran with her and I at one point also jogged along side her. (Scary thought right?)


All in all, it was a lesson that made me think and even though I didn't think they would REALLY make 1st graders run the ENTIRE mile, I am glad that they did it and I hope they learned something today too!

6 comments:

Lisah said...

Way to go running with her!! I watched Kenzie yesterday. It was very fun to see. It was pouring rain on us too so you are lucky you didn't have that!!! I MISS YA~

Ashton & Co. said...

What a brave woman you are! I seriously thought there was a hurricane here today. Congrats to Cam on running the mile. That is such an accomplishment!

Lori Harris said...

Yeah! Go Cambree. Running a mile is hard, even for me!!

So is it time to call some parents in Primary? I feel like Tammie and I are the only teachers who even discipline the kids and it is always the class in front of me. Frustrating. Ok. I vented. I think that some of the parents would be really suprised that their kids were acting up in Primary and would help out.

Colette said...

Way to go you McBride women!! I'm tired thinking about it in this wind.

jasnbon said...

Way to go Cambree! I hate running in the wind!

madsens said...

I thought about running with lyndzee. but didn't want to hold her back. I also thought about bringing the camera but not till I was already there. SO good job for being a great mom and on the ball