Sunday, February 6, 2011

My New Year's Resolution Success

...and a new tradition...


This year I made a New Year's Resolution and I am still sticking to it! You will love what it is: My resolution this year was to make my kids in charge of the dinner dishes. They each have a week and I of course supervise, but they do it every night and they don't complain!! Why I didn't start this earlier you ask? Well, I did...But it was kind of a hassle and I gave up. They are older now so it seems to be easier. Also, it has two benefits: The first being that dishes are being done by someone besides me and the second is that it becomes a great time for catching up with my girls. They sure can chat it up! Does Aidan have a part in the dish doing you might ask. Well, his new job is to help me unload the dishwasher and to sort the silverware into the drawer. He is actually quite good and very willing! (For now!) So, life here is progressing in the right direction. It only took me many years to figure out the dishes part of parenting! :)
This Valentine's we adopted a new tradition in our family. The kids each have a new pillowcase for Valentine's and starting on the 1st of February, they recieve notes and the occasional treat in the pocket on the front. It has been a great way to express love for each other and also it is so exciting to see what was left in the pocket. They check it everyday after school and so far have not been disappointed!

7 comments:

Megan said...

How fun...what a good mom :-)

Michelle said...

Great Pillowcase idea. I LOVE IT!! And the dishes, Joseph loves to help rinse them and then rinse out the sink with the sprayer, might just have to get him to do the silver ware!!! I do have the occasional night where mom takes washing the extras off and the boys wash them?

Lori Harris said...

What a great way to get the dishes done and to spend time with your kids.

LOVE the pillowcase idea. I will have to remember that idea for next year. I love it!

jasnbon said...

I love the pillowcases, they are so cute! That is such a fun idea! I am still impressed with your ability to get your kids to do chores and pick things up, you are super mom!

M&M said...

LOVE the dishes goal and think it is awesome that it is actually working! I hope I can pull that off. And the pillowcases are darling!!! That is one I will have to remember for next year. You are a fun mom!

Colette said...

I LOVE your pillowcases, what a great idea!! Great idea on the dishes, I wish I would have started that much, much sooner. My fondest memories with my mom are doing the dishes because we talked and talked each day, I know CRAZY. Our friendship and relationship seriously grew over those dishes. I still love to help her at holidays prepare meals and do dishes for that very reason, we talk and talk only thing is now I have to share her with the rest of the family.

John-David and Kathryn said...

Look what a cute mom you are. THose pillow cases are adorable. Why can't I make such cute things.