Friday, May 14, 2010

My Bad Mom Moment (one of many...)

Today Aidan and I went to lunch with a friend and when we were leaving Aidan ran out of the restaurant and straight to our car. He was still very much in my line of vision and so it wasn't too scary. (Mistake #1...he ran away from me and I didn't grab him quick enough.) He then tried to open one of the doors on the car and when that wouldn't work, he went to the other side. (Mistake #2...still didn't have a hold of the little independent fellow.) So, after a quick good-bye to my friend I started on my way to get him. Well, here comes a man and a lady and she is holding Aidan's hand...Aidan is so thrilled to see me that he starts saying "Mommy, Mommy..." (Mistake #3....holding hands with stranger....) When I get up close which took about 2.5 seconds, the lady says "Is this your mom?" In a disgusted tone of voice. I say "Yes. Thank you for bringing him back to me." And then I picked him up and started hauling him back to the car. She says "Well, I just didn't want to have him get run over by a car since he was running all over the parking lot by himself." (Okay, point taken.) I said "Thanks again". Then her husband says "We could have just run over him for you if you wanted us too." WHAT?!?! I just stared at him, turned away and got Aidan in the car super quick like and took off. Who says that?? Am I REALLY the one with the problem here? Anyway, I get it. I am a mom who has some bad moments. He is at a hard, independent age and I made a mistake. But really? Do you tell someone you are going to run over their child? Now I feel like a complete failure and that I don't deserve children. But, it also makes me mad to think that someone would be so rude to actually tell someone else that they would run over their child. So, today I am loser mom....Hopefully my kids live another day so I can be a better mom!

7 comments:

jasnbon said...

Oh, you are a wonderful Mom Bridgett!! Some people are just rude, I don't think they can help it. Anyway, I constantly lose my children and they always run across the parking lot, Luke really almost did get hit one day at Albertson's, scary stuff! But that person didn't yell at me, they probably should have though! You are an awesome Mom and those people have no idea!

Lori Harris said...

You are a great mom and a great person too for that matter. :)

Anonymous said...

You're a great Mom... should have told that couple you were simply thinning the heard... and only the strong survive... their probably from Utah ah!!!!

Megan said...

The same type of thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I had to take my kids to mutual...not ever fun, esp. since our building is 20 miles away and it is bedtime. And afterward, while holding Azely, Courtney runs off in the grass toward the road after I ask her to come back and count to three the woman (over 50 and never had children) who is talking to me as I am trying to walk away to get my kid says, "You really ought to do something about that. She shouldn't run away from you and not listen." Oh man...I just don't think people get it unless they live with a child aged 2-4. Seriously.

Unknown said...

I go walking at a park with a friend a couple times a week. We walk the perimeter and let the kids play at the playground. They usually do pretty good, but Tyler occasionally goes off the playground to the far side of the grass. I've had a few people bring him back to me, and my friend and I always brace ourselves for what they are going to say to us. I've had a person stop their car while driving around the park to get my wandering two year old. I hate getting "busted" by "Well meaning" strangers!!!

Anonymous said...

In the words of Ryan G., "Life's a b**** and then you die". Stuff happens.

Colette said...

Oh Bridgette, you're a wonderful mom and obviously they have never had a "busy" little boy in their lives. It is so easy to look at other people and judge them but any one of us that knows you knows that you are AWESOME and would never let them run all over the parking lot!! I'm so proud of you for biting your tongue, that must have really, really hurt!